Check-out for Charity
Donate to Local Environment Conservation
MARRIOTT HOTELS & RESORTS THAILAND & IUCN (INTERNATIONAL UNION FOR CONSERVATION OF NATURE) JOIN HANDS FOR COMMUNITY-BASED ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION & DEVELOPMENT
RUSSIAN VERSION | CHINESE VERSION
Marriott Hotels & Resorts Thailand and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) are working together to protect the environment and support local communities. Your THB 30 per night donation will help rebuild Thailand’s mangroves, protect its coral reefs, and contribute towards community development projects.
As part of Marriott’s “Spirit to Preserve” global commitment to sustainability, Marriott Hotels & Resorts Thailand and IUCN are working together to protect the environment and support our local communities mangrove reforestation and coral reef conservation, and other local projects including sourcing sustainable seafood and local procurement practices.
Over the past three years, Marriott International has invested more than US$2.5 million in a portfolio of innovative conservation projects globally, including rainforest preservation, fresh water and sustainable livelihoods.
You can support Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort in our mangrove and coral reef projects in Thailand. Your THB 30 per night donation will help rebuild Thailand’s mangroves, protect its coral reefs, and contribute towards projects that benefit local communities. Please advise our reception team if you would like to make this valuable donation.
THAILAND’S MANGROVES & CORAL REEFS HAVE BEEN DECIMATED OVER THE LAST FOUR DECADES, PARTICULARLY AFTER THE 2004 TSUNAMI. MARRIOTT ASSOCIATES ARE JOINING THEIR EFFORTS WITH IUCN TO HELP ACHIEVE OUR GOALS:
- PLANT 50,000 MANGROVE SAPLINGS AND RELEVANT SPECIES IN THE NEXT THREE YEARS AND PROVIDE INCOME TO THE MANGROVE COMMUNITIES
- SUPPORT CORAL REEF MARINE CONSERVATION AND EDUCATION
- ENGAGE MARINE WILDLIFE RESTORATION FOR SEAHORSES / TURTLES / CLOWN FISH
Why Mangroves & Coral Reefs Are Critical
- Mangroves, coral reefs and seagrass meadows protect the coastline from severe storms and rises in sea level.
- Mangroves and reefs are an important feeding ground for many coastal species of seafood – Marriott will source sustainable fish, crab and shrimp resulting from our projects with IUCN.
- Mangroves provide livelihood to local communities by producing handicrafts and other local items – Marriott will enhance our guest gift program from our projects with IUCN.
- Mangrove forests store an average of 1,000 tonnes of carbon per hectare; the world’s mangroves contain as much carbon as the planet’s atmosphere.
- Coral reefs are the best indicator for healthy marine ecosystems.